Site Rules and Information – Alexandra Headland
Over the last few years the club has developed a protocol for safe and responsible flight at this site.
The management of this site relies upon a close and co-operative partnership between the Sunshine Coast Airport Control Tower and every pilot that flies this site.
Alexandra Headlands is situated within the controlled airspace of Sunshine Coast airport, although flying hang gliders and paragliders within controlled airspace is usually not allowed at all our club has been extremely lucky to have had CASA approve an exemption for us to fly within the controlled airspace of Sunshine Coast Airport but with a number of conditions see full exemption HERE
The following rules are critical to the ongoing operation of this site, and are mandatory for all pilots:
- Before the commencement of any Hang gliding or Paragliding operations a duty officer will be nominated.
- The Duty Officer will have the responsibility to call the Sunshine Coast Tower and gain clearance for operations.
- The Duty Officer will have the responsibility to control operations on site.
- The Duty Officer will have the responsibility to call the Sunshine Coast Tower and notify them when operation have completed.
- If the Duty Officer has to leave site then a new Duty Officer will be nominated and will call the sunshine Coast Tower to notify them of the change of Duty Officer
- The Duty Officer will report any incident/accident to the Australian Transport Safety Bureau, CASA and the HGFA.
- Care must be taken when launching and landing to stay clear of general public
As usual, all other protocols and regulations as per the HGFA apply.
This site takes NE wind direction.
Advanced ground handling skills are required for launch.
Who to Contact
The primary contacts for this site are listed below.
If you are unable to reach one of these people, please get in touch with another club safety officer before flying.
Paragliding Safety Officer:
Tex Beck Tel: 0407 238 017
Shane Gingell: Tel: 0417 619 167